Thursday 27 October 2011

I'm a chimp.

Last Thursday, I taught a full day in school, went on a twilight management course from 4:30 'til 6:30 and then spent the rest of the evening until 9:30 or so at Cramlington Learning Village at the Teachmeet.

When I mentioned this, one of my colleagues said, "Why would you want to do that? You are completely mad. "

This could well be true. There is every likelihood that I am, if not completely mad, definitely a bit mad.

Although, I'm not sure that I am mad because I love my job and I'm keen to improve the way I teach.

Yesterday I read José Picardo's blog Chimps and Ants: The politics of innovation and, on reflection, I realised that, because of the way I look at and complete my work, I am a chimp.

I am a chimp, not an ant.

Don't laugh.

The very fact that you are reading this proves that you are most likely a chimp, too.

The majority of my colleagues at the exam factory are ants. They don't realise and they can't help it.

Shame, really.

2 comments:

José Picardo said...

Hi Dom,

Too often Ants take a very perverse pride in being Ants whilst Chimps are left feeling, bizarrely, that they must apologise for their commitment.

I don't know you, but I'm done with apologising. Let's go grab a stick and annoy some Ants!

Thanks for reading my blog too. Nice to know who the other reader is!

Dom said...

Thanks for the comment, José. It's very much appreciated.